Sunday, November 05, 2006

Animal House

Today I was invited by my ex-wife to spend the day with her and the Younger Monkey mingling with some the other species at the Lowry Park Zoo. It was lots of fun, especially when we found out we could feed our child to the giraffes. (Only costs two tokens!) It didn't work because apparently he's seen Curious George enough that he's tight with his jungle homeys. They were all like, come here and we'll show you what we can do with my absurdly long tongue.

I took many, many pictures. Here are a few. Clicky to make biggy:










Later, the younger monkey wanted to take a rhinoceros home but I'm not sure that would have gone over too well with the neighbors. He gets this notion from my ex-wife who also wished to have real live pandas when she was his age and also now. I'm not certain, but I believe they were plotting to take the baby elephant home.

While we were enthused to reconnect the young one back to his people, the only actual monkeys, unfortunately, were lazy and uncooperative or were eating things out of each others butts. While this behavior is not uncommon and understandably in vogue amongst wild folk it's not something we necessarily wish him to start doing in his nightly tribal ritual. There was lots of rear end action going on all around that's all I could get for a view of the manatees.

Meanwhile, the Elder Monkey opted to head to a football game with the Grandparents. I am told that, while they played dismally, he enjoyed himself enough to come home adorning a mini Buc's jersey. Somehow I believe this desire to attend was inspired when, earlier in the week, he somehow psychically tuned in football on my television with no antenna. I can only speculate what is next as he then began to watch golf and found it equally as interesting.

11 comments:

VJnet said...

Looks like it was a lovely, bright, colorfun day for you both to take the little one back to the jungle :) Darn it's late again... it's time for me to go nite nite...zzz

Rebecca said...

Your child likes sports...

That is terrible.

You must find a psychic or witch that can put an end to that immediately. Post haste.

dpaste said...

You look so sweet with your son. The double profile picture also clearly confirms that there is no question regarding paternity.

cheapblueguitar said...

Awesome photos. Looks like a wonderful day. The hat and backpack rock too.

Anonymous said...

no fair!! you went to see meerkats without me...! >__<

Anonymous said...

Clicky to make biggy? Does that work in real life, too?

Evan said...

I LOVE the picture of him on your shoulders...excellent shot!

Larry said...

I really like the one with him and the turtle because you can see the little gears turning in his head. How long until he tried to set it free?

:)

Alden said...

Larry: I was more worried that he'd start speaking parseltongue to the snake, myself...

The Persian said...

Such beautiful photographs!

I used to spend time with my sons and their mother (my ex-wife) in the earliest days of our separation, at least on one occasion visiting the local Zoo. It was difficult for me. The familiarity was completely awkward and unsettling given the turns our lives had taken by that point.

We had met at age 14 in high school and divorced at age 27. We were together the entire time in between, marrying at 21. This is why it was so hard, to overcome the urge to slide into that comfortable zone we had known all of our adult lives.

I'm so glad to read that you are able to spend time with them both together. It is in many ways a wonderful thing.

:)

Spider said...

Younger Monkey is ADORABLE!